My Photo
Name:
Location: san francisco, CA

I don't know my focus of my blog yet but tentatively I want it to be about reviewing restaurants/bars or just events that go around the city and the bay area

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Stonelake Farm

As I piled into Kelly's car at 5 a.m. , two things crossed my mind: What am I doing up this early in the morning? and how did Silver convince us to drive 6 hours to a farm out in the boonies?

However, after 6 hours, a 37 mile windy road and a 6 mile dirt road later, we arrived at a quiet and peaceful farm, with scenic views of the vast forest that surrounded us.

Stonelake Farm isn't your typical farm either. Yes it has its goats, chickens, and two adorable dogs, but is also environmentally conscious as well. Stonelake generates its energy with a system of solar panels that heats up water which provides electricity to the households. Not to mention it also uses the nearby creek to generate electricity as well. Every little detail has been meticulously planned out, even down to the hand made benches along the hillside to watch the sunset or to enjoy a delicious meal.


One of the masterminds behind this farm is Francis, and is one of the reasons why Stonelake Farm is so self-sufficient . Francis has been a outdoors man all his life and can prove it, by making a fire in a matter of minutes with his trusty bow and elk bone. I was amazed how quickly he could create fire and then hit he me how screwed I would be if I ever got lost in the forest. Francis still retains skills, like making fire or surviving in the wild, that my generation has lost. For centuries these skills were a necessity to survive, but now in today's society, fire can be started with a match and you can go get all the food you want two blocks down the street at a grocery store.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -









Silver Attempting to Chop Wood                                                             Sunny Skies

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
One of the things that struck me while I was at Stonelake was when Francis brought out the chainsaw to saw up some firewood. I remember him saying "Everybody clover your ears" before he fired up the chainsaw. As I braced myself for what I thought would be a excruciating loud noise, the sound came nothing to what I was expecting and was pretty bearable for my standards. But I realized for Francis, that was about the loudest noise he probably hears out on the farm, except for the machines the new neighbors pass by in. I also noticed Francis had earmuffs to block the sound of the chainsaw. I realized how much other distractions we have in the city and how we have become accustomed to adapting to these noises. I know I can read a book on the bus with multiple conversations going on around me, not to mention the street noise. Matter of fact it would be kind of weird to read in almost total silence and I would have to look around to see what is wrong.


I think Francis might have a hard time adjusting to city life now that he has lived in rural surroundings for so long. But on the other hand I would be totally lost if I had to live in on a farm and be able to survive for myself. I guess what I am wondering is it possible to adjust to a new lifestyle after a certain time living in a completely different one? All I know is I learned a lot from Francis and the lifestyle he chooses and I am glad he found a place where he can live the way he wants and be at peace with himself, which is what I think everyone is looking for at some point in their life.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -



The Icy Waterfall at
Stonelake. Believe me I know!        




                                      The Octagon as snow begins to fall

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- -
One of reasons why I was glad to go to Stonelake was to get away from the city for a few days and forget about all the stressful things in my life. With beautiful waterfalls and big rocks to climb on, I was glad I got to enjoy this place for what it is, instead of thinking about graduating and all of the tests upcoming in the next few weeks. I told myself before I went that I wasn't going to think about these things because I wanted to experience all the farm had to offer. I felt by thinking about all the stuff going on here, it would take away from my experience at the farm. I am thankful that Stonelake had such beautiful scenery and you could just enjoy being there. From waterfalls, to beautiful views, Stonelake is a great place to get away from it all. It also helps that you have 3 glorious meals a day and some drinks to pass the time and look forward too every 3 hours or so.

- - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -









Before                                                                                            After

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Ivan Chew said...

Hmm, I thought I left a comment at this post earlier. Nevermind. Here's a new one:

"I guess what I am wondering is it possible to adjust to a new lifestyle after a certain time living in a completely different one?"

I'd say yes. It's a matter of how much determination we have.

I suspect a person like Francis would still be able to survive in a city. It's not as if he hasn't lived in one. It's just his choice not to.

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Quiana said...

Interesting to know.

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home