My Photo
Name:
Location: san francisco, CA

I don't know my focus of my blog yet but tentatively I want it to be about reviewing restaurants/bars or just events that go around the city and the bay area

Monday, March 31, 2008

Library

What do I like most about the Gleeson Library at USF?

I would have to say the computers because it provides access to anyone who attends USF. I know most of us have computers, but I know I see a lot of international studies using them, maybe because they didn't bring a computer overseas. Or in my case, since my computer broke down and can't afford a new one, the Gleeson computers provide access and allow me to connect to all of you guys. (Yay!) Also the computers in Gleeson are nice because people who don't have lab tops, can have access to the Internet while there on campus to check e-mail or work on homework.

What Would I change about Gleeson Library?

1. Since were on the subject of computers, I'll make a recommendation that might improve the computers on the second floor of Gleeson library. If you don't know where this is, if you go up the stairs to the 2nd floor and walk all the way straight ahead you will notice a long line of computers. My idea would to build a small sound-proof room around each computer. That way people can't listen to music as loud as they can't or pound on the keyboard as hard as they want without disturbing other students.

2. Another Idea would be to have a section in the library where people could create a USF music library. Students could bring in their CD's and upload them to a computer where any student could listen to them. I guess you could also use IPOD's but that brings in the question of illegal downloading and that whole issue. But I think it would be cool to create a place or commons where students and faculty could share their music.

3. Also I don't know id Gleeson does this, but they could invite local writers or poets to come in and read some of their work and have a question and answer period after. Maybe they could block off the Atrium for a couple of hours and hold the event in there. I know there are tons of local writers and poets who probably enjoy coming to a college campus.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Amber said...

I also like the computers. The ones in the library tend to be less crowded than in the Parina lab. It would be nice to see a few more computers around the library that are designated for searching the catalog.

As for the music idea, having people bring in their CDs would be very problematic copyright-wise, but it would be super cool if student musicians could give their recordings (of their own music) to the library, and the library could circulate them. Same with student films and creative work from faculty.

I also really like your idea of hosting more writers. They do some of that now, but they could do more, or try to get people who might be more engaging or interesting to the general student body.

8:54 PM  
Blogger lissle said...

I think the idea of a sound proof bubble around each computer would be awesome, but is probably unrealistic. maybe not though.

for the music idea, i think also it would be really cool if anyone could come in and upload cds, and then if there were like a usf radio type network where students couldn't download but could just listen to any of the uploaded music, off of the usf website or something, would resolve any copyright issues.

and authors would be great! amber said they do some of that now, but ive never heard about anything. authors reading their own writing would promote and celebrate what the library is all about.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

oooooo. juicy. As someone who hates lugging her computer anywhere but the coffeeshop, I find myself frequenting the library's lab (Amber's right, totally superior to Parina). Now, I know this is logistics and not mean-spiritedness, but I don't know how many times I've had to scarf sandwiches/salads/cookies/lattes while standing in front of the library before I can enter. I know, I know, I shouldn't eat in front of any computer, especially one that isn't mine. But it would be so nice!

The music idea is rad. Just like the library has a catalog of magazines, newspapers and books, what about music!? I especially like using the library as a forum for students to distribute their own work (or work of others [with permission, of course!]). Which leads me to the next topic...

A forum for public reading, genius Blake! So, this goes on already.... what if we had public public readings. Like, as in, in front of the front desk. Or on the lawn in front of the library. Why do we confine the coolest talks to four walls in the basement of Lone Mountain. Because, as we all know, the best stuff is the stuff that you just stumble upon....

3:52 PM  
Blogger Steven Barnett said...

I think your idea of a collective music pool sounds pretty great. I don't know how it would ever be legal, but if there is ever a breakthrough with copyright law or maybe a nuclear bomb might land on the RIAA headquarters.

I'm waiting for the day when music will be free everywhere and not just in my head.

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home