My Photo
Name:
Location: san francisco, CA

I don't know my focus of my blog yet but tentatively I want it to be about reviewing restaurants/bars or just events that go around the city and the bay area

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

FMAtlas.com

Well, I don't know about you guys but I am not a fan of fmatlas. For one it's a bit slow, I know we have come to take download speeds for granite, but I ain't going to wait all day for the map to pop up. Sometimes for me the zoom tool wouldn't work and I would have to log off the site then log back on to get it to work properly again.
In addition, the site isn't that user friendly. I uploaded some pictures to the map which I took the time to describe and all that good stuff, then when I closed my browser and went back to check to see if my pictures uploaded to the map I discovered they did not. It also took me a while to figure out that you have to click on My Atlas to be able to save your pics on the map, otherwise it doesn't.

And besides you can only look at pictures you have posted on the map and not other people around the world. And I believe there is already a site that lets you do that its called FLICKR! Not only can you look up your pictures, you can look up your contacts pictures and pictures from anywhere around the world (And it's faster anyway).

What I am trying to say is fmatlas is not a good site, in my humble opinion, I am stickn' with flickr.

4 Comments:

Blogger Amber said...

I definitely see your point. While I haven't had the technical problems you had, I've noticed the site design isn't ideal. You're right that it has nothing near Flickr's capabilities for sharing, but I can see the value in that for specific sorts of projects, like ones with a focus (e.g. this map is of images that illustrate Jane Jacobs quotes, and we don't want those to get lost in a sea of random USF photos).

12:19 AM  
Blogger david silver said...

like amber, i see your point, too.

blake, would you be interested/willing to demo flickr's map + photos capabilities in class, perhaps on tuesday?

7:45 AM  
Blogger Blake said...

sure I could do that!

8:48 PM  
Blogger Lulu McAllister said...

Yeah, I know I'm a little behind in this convo, but I just wanted to say I don't like it either. Varsity football rules!

1:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home